Since Thanksgiving is only a few hours away, I thought this would be nice to contemplate over the next could days: "Regardless of our circumstances, each of us has much for which to be grateful if we will but pause and contemplate our blessings.
This is a wonderful time to be on earth. While there is much that is wrong in the world today, there are many things that are right and good. There are marriages that make it, parents who love their children and sacrifice for them, friends who care about us and help us, teachers who teach. Our lives are blessed in countless ways.
We can lift ourselves and others as well when we refuse to remain in the realm of negative thought and cultivate within our hearts an attitude of gratitude. If ingratitude be numbered among the serious sins, then gratitude takes its place among the noblest of virtues. Someone has said that “gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all others."
- Thomas S. Monson
What a breath of fresh air! There is A LOT of good going on in the world but unfortunately, good samaritans don't generate headlines. Thus our task to discover the right and the good becomes a little more difficult, but not impossible. To prove it, here are five good things that are going on in the world today:
1) A lady has been taking something over (dinner, dessert, flowers, etc.) to a neighbor with terminal cancer every week since she found out about his condition.
2) Another woman took in a 13 year old girl (basically off the streets) who was a rape victim when she was eight and is helping her learn to forgive him. This woman barely has any money, but she just can't allow this girl to go uncared for.
3) I saw a guy give money to a homeless man yesterday.
4) South Korea did NOT jump up and bomb the heck out of North Korea.
5) There are cool websites like this: http://www.thegooddeedsorganisation.com/Default.aspx
What sort of good is going on around you?